Mario and how it all started
The year was 1981. A fair maiden named Pauline was at risk, in the clutches of a large money known as Donkey Kong. ‘Jump Man’ her boyfriend, would have to go through a series of tests to rescue her from the monkey. Back in the land of reality, the landlord of the Nintendo company who created the game Donkey Kong, burst into one of their meetings, demanding that his rent be paid. As a result, Nintendo renamed ‘Jump Man’ as ‘Mario’ in their sequel game Donkey Kong Jr., in 1982. Mario was still a carpenter at this time, only growing in size, being portrayed as a larger version of Jump Man. The landlord, Mario Segale, an extremely private American businessman with an Italian accent, has to this day, remained silent on being the namesake of this marvelous game character.
Back to the world of gaming, Luigi entered the scenario in 1983, as Mario’s brother, who at this time, changed professions from being a carpenter to a plumber. The era was now called Mario Bros. with the inclusion of turtles and other enemies. Donkey Kong would no longer survive this turbulent world and the game started its new legacy. Players can play in battle mode, Mario against Luigi or on a multi-height level where enemies would descend to attack you. The game later developed to include Mario Cement Factory.
In 1995, a princess entered the realm which was now located in Mushroom Kingdom, and the new world became Super Mario Bros. Mario was given the task of rescuing the princess in distress from her kidnapper Bowser. This game made Mario a video game mega star as he was clearly defined, even growing in size and obtaining an extra life, if a mushroom was ingested. Fire flowers was added so that Mario could temporarily become fire Mario, using fireballs to destroy enemies.
As the game progressed, more and more definition and refinement were done to the character and to this day, Super Mario remains one of the most popular games of all time. Here is a list of the game titles, from 1983 to 2014:
- 1983 – Mario Bros. and Mario Cement Factory
- 1985 – Super Mario Bros.
- 1989 – Super Mario Bros. 2
- 1991 – Super Mario Bros. 3
- 1992 – Super Mario World
- 1997 – Super Mario 64
- 2002 – Super Mario Sunshine
- 2006 – New Super Mario Bros.
- 2007 – Super Mario Galaxy
- 2009 – New Super Mario Bros. Wii
- 2010 – Super Mario Galaxy 2
- 2011 – Super Mario 3D Land
- 2012 – New Super Mario Bros. 2
- 2013 – Super Mario 3D World
- 2014 – Mario Kart 8
Besides our Italian friend Mario, other characters include:
- Luigi – his brother
- Bowser – the dragon kidnapper of the princess
- Yoshi – the dinosaur sidekick for the brothers
- Waluigi – the arch-rival of Luigi
- Rosalina – the princess who resides in the Comet Observatory
- Princess Daisy – of Sarasaland
- Princess Peach – of Mushroom Kingdom
- Wario – Mario’s arch-rival
- The Koopalings – also known as the 7 Bowser Team, made up of 7 childlike characters called Iggy, Larry, Lemmy, Ludwig von, Morton Jr., Roy, and Wendy O. Koopa
- Bowser Jr. – son of Bowser
- Toad – a citizen of Mushroom Kingdom and loyal attendant to the Princess Peach
The list goes on, even including a baby Mario but essentially, these are the most important characters within the game.